Thursday 30 July 2009

Addicted to Running?

An addiction is defined as something you are dependent on, or something you couldn't give up. Of course these aren't the only parameters for an addiction but they are certainly the main facets. Could you give up running? How often have you found yourself with a small injury, one that needs a few weeks rest, and eventually buckled under the boredom and gone out for even a small run - telling yourself "it's okay I'm only running a slow couple of miles"?

I would be lying if I said I've never gone against physio's orders and ran on an injury, I know it makes the injury worse but the idea of losing fitness is something that often fills me with nervous anxiety. Well the first step on the road to cure is admitting you have an addiction!

"My name is Richard Beech and I'm a running addict."

But what's the issue? The side effects of our addiction include:

Healthy heart and body;
Daily fresh air;
Reaching aspirations, targets and personal goals;
The necessity to eat a balanced diet;
Meeting like-minded runners at clubs and events.

The problem is that any addiction has negative effects, you may not even realise that these negative effects exist. Sport encourages the body to release feel-good hormones, but some athletes can become disheartened and even depressed if they are not reaching their targets or goals. This doesn't happen to all of us, but I've certainly had my low points and I feel it's a case of taking the good with the bad, rolling with the punches so-to-speak. For many running becomes more than an evening or weekend activity, it becomes a lifestyle to fully embrace and be proud of. When you peg so much hope and time on that shiny new personal best, it can be crushing if you don't set it, even worse if you pick up an injury and your sport is taken away from you.

My suggestion to avoid these ruts is simple. If you find yourself becoming dis-illusioned with your training, implement one very slow, scenic, medium distance run to your training every week. Take in your surroundings, leave the stopwatch and iPod at home, and remind yourself why you started running in the first place - because it makes you feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment