Tuesday 19 May 2009

10 Mile High

I took a rest day yesterday, to add to the rest week I had before it. My day was consumed with Ice packs, compression and use of the super-genius T.E.N.S machine on my right heel/ankle. Apparently it heals ligaments with electronic frequencies (well beyond my understanding as a student of the social sciences). It seemed to work anyway as today saw my successful departure on a ten mile run, I took it steady on the first 5 miles just to see how my foot responded. Over pronation seems to have been partly cured by new shoes but I'm still doing it once every 9 or 10 steps.

The second 5 miles were good, the sun came out and I enjoyed listening to podcasts on my iPod which really cured the boredom that so often sets in on my longer runs. I am easily bored and quite impatient so I find podcasts are something to take my mind off the running. There is a mile long hollow towards the end of my 10 mile route that signals the worst part of my run, it is dark and slightly eerie, I know when i reach the end of it I only have one mile to go. I overpaced myself badly in the hollow which meant my usual finish at 1500 metre pace did not happen at all, finished at more of a marathon pace, slow and fatigued. However, still very happy to be relatively injury free and back on track again, 10 miles in 1 hour 14 is far from my best or even average time but it's something to build on over the 4 months off I have in summer.

I look forward to summer, I won't be working, I have no uni work, it means I can train as if running is my full time job, I probably need somebody to help me with training schedules etc though because I would like to make the most of it. Going to try and get 30 miles in per week but also concentrate on interval training and speed sessions, probably go swimming once a week but might drop the whole gym routine thing, it's good for core maintenence but I always end up lifting weights out of vanity and I do seem to bulk quite quickly, extra weight is unneccesary to say the least.

In non running news, I saw Star Trek last night and it was incredible, I am now a full time Trekkie!

Live long and propser.

No comments:

Post a Comment