Saturday 23 May 2009

Zen Running

Today I had a drink at the Woody with my good friend Gill (a man's name - pronounced with a hard G, not a J), we watched the league 2 play-off finals, POORS Shrewsbury didn't get promoted again, if anybody deserves league 1 football it's those guys. Managed to persuade Gill to persuade our IMG footy team to run the Cardiff half marathon on behalf of charity, very pleased with this, I like the idea of perhaps opening people's eyes to the thrill and unique sense of accomplishment when finishing a long distance race.

I also ran the Cardiff Parkrun 5k this morning, the guy who won logged a 15 minute time and he's the same age as me, makes me sick!!! I ran a disappointing time, missed out on sub 20 by a considerable time, not too worried though as this event runs every single week. I have 28 more attempts this year! Will be in the 17 minute club by December.... hahahahahahaha...

The post is titled Zen running, the phrase I have applied to running for the sake of enjoyment and escape. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in training programmes and personal bests, Ive been working on improving my 10km time for the last 2 months and have taken 5 minutes off in that time. I've just realised that instead of going to bed every night refreshed and content I end up obsessing over training regimes and running times. I have now realised the importance of the fortnightly zen run, I am off to north west Wales tomorrow, to a small peninsular near Aberdaron, I plan to run around the coast and the mountains just to get a sense of my running self back again. I'm going to plod along, leave the iPod at home, and just use the time completely for myself. Woooo, I am going with a friend of mine who isn't a runner, I'm going to bring a spare pair of running shoes and try and get him into the vibe too, he has a good build for long distance so he might put me to shame!

It's Star Trek weekend on Virgin1 so I'm off to geek out now!

1 comment: